RE: [ST] The Chains vs Shafts Religious Wars

<<SNIP

I certainly can't argue with the regearing convenience of a chain drive. But
if Triumph were to pick a better final gearing ratio to begin with, it might
not be such a big deal.

I've now put just under 24,000 miles on my original chain and 19 tooth front
sprocket. More'n likely I'll change them out when I do the next service. I'm
toying with the idea of the 18 tooth front sprocket. It is nice that I've
got the option. On the other hand, it would have been nice if I wouldn't
have had to bother.
>>SNIP

I'm not attacking you, as I think it was a well put and reasonable email.
There are plusses and minuses to both.  However, your line of thinking above
about "More'n likely I'll change them out when I do the next service. I'm
toying with the idea of the 18 tooth front sprocket. It is nice that I've
got the option. On the other hand, it would have been nice if I wouldn't
have had to bother," is exactly one of the plusses for the chain.  I've been
in both this and other forums, including cruisers; and no matter what bike,
what people, etc, there are always differences in opinion on the final
drive.  So I don't believe there is such a thing as "it would have been nice
if I wouldn't have had to bother."  People have different riding styles, and
different opinions.  Especially a bike that does more than one thing (like
the Sprint).  Some tour more, some flog it like a sport bike.  But even in
the Bonneville America forum, there are these same discussions and debates
(cruising ease, fuel consumption, grunt of the line, etc).  It seems that
owners of shaft bikes don't talk about it so much simply because it is not a
viable option to change.  We are lucky to have the option, but with options
comes debate.

Again, not really arguing for or against the chain or shaft, or attacking
your email, but just trying to refine your last point.

Matt Heyer