[ST] Laguna Seca, seats, and such

Last Friday, I rode from cloudy Escondido to Monterey for my first time
experience of watching races at Laguna Seca.  I met my friend, Michael, in
Sherman Oaks (LA to you out-of-staters) and then we slabbed to San Luis
Obispo.  There, we turned off onto Route 1, the preferred motorcycle travel
route, as the road has lots of twisties and scenery.  At times, far too many
cages, however.  The further north we traveled, the more cycles we
encountered, with varying forms of élan and recklessness.  After checking
into the motel, we eventually rode back to Monterey to experience Cannery
Row.

For those that haven't attended, you can see just about every sportbike you
have heard about.  One of my favorites was an MV Agusta F4 rigged with
remote start.  Really messed with peoples' minds who were admiring the bike,
and suddenly - lights on, engine starts!  Most of the bikes, of course were
the usual variety of Japanese models, with many Ducs, as well.  Triumphs
sighted in town and at the track included other Sprint STs, at least one RS,
several Trophies, a Daytona, an S3, a Tiger, and perhaps one Bonneville.
Even saw a 650 twin, maybe the only non-Hinckley Triumph around.

The Triumph presence at the track was minimal compared with the other
manufacturers.  Triumph did have a large canopy tent with tables and chairs,
but the only bikes were two Rocket 3s.  They do look much better in person
than in pictures.  A very different riding position from the Sprint ST, with
a really wide seat and wide bars.  The engine and exhaust system were very
quiet; certainly an opportunity for aftermarket suppliers.  And, for you
shaft drive aficionados, here is your chance to own one that is a Triumph.
Oh, there was a drawing for a new Daytona, won by a local.  Hmmm.  There was
actually one Triumph racing there in the Supersport class, Eric Pinson #204,
on a Daytona 600.

After watching the full program on Sunday, Michael and I finally left the
track around 1830.  Our return route was planned for speed:  heading east to
Salinas and then south on US 101.  Along the way, we picked up a few other
bikes until there were about 6 of us riding together.  At one point, there
was a roadside speed display thoughtfully placed by CalTrans or the CHP, not
sure which.  It read 82, but I was so busy watching the display, I forgot to
see what my own speedo was indicating.  Somewhere around 90 for sure.
Michael and I parted company around 0030, and I finally made it home Monday
at 0230.

There was another point to this ramble.  I have a Sargent seat on the bike
that I salvaged from the dearly departed '01.  I have found it a better seat
than the stock seat, but have never tried a Corbin, Mayer or Russell seat.
At times, I will slide back on the seat to the transition point and lean on
my tank bag, just to get a different riding position for a few minutes.  As
with others reporting in on the list, I usually experience other discomforts
and reasons for stopping, especially one knee and my throttle hand.
Earlier, I had tried some add-on gel pads from Travelcade (on my '96 Sprint
and the '01), but found they were of little value.  I like the Sargent much
better.  I rode a Saddle Sore 1K last year using the Sargent, and it
performed just fine.  That does not mean that there are not better seats,
just that I am currently satisfied with mine.  Last summer, I met a Triumph
rider (Trophy, I think) in Oregon who had a Russell seat.  It looked very
plush, and he liked it just fine.  He had ridden out from Wisconsin, so had
plenty of miles to "evaluate" the seat.

The bike ran great, mileage on the slab was right at 50mpg, slightly lower
on Rte 1, for some reason.  The engine in the '04 seems to produce
noticeably more power than the '01, more than I would have expected from the
specified 10 more peak hp.  My suspension settings are too stiff for some
concrete road conditions, so I will be dialing them back from the owner's
manual full solo settings.

Rich (Thunderdawg) Rumble
2004 Aston Green Sprint ST
1995 Yamaha TZ250