[ST] Re: TriumphSTDigest Re: st-digest V2004 #293

>I suggest you not base (plus spread clueless FUD) reliability information on
>your own limited 1st year model experiences, plus he said/she said.

In Mark's defense, and as another owner of a 99, the Sprint has been
one of the least reliable bikes I've owned, and it also still shifts
worse than any other bike I've owned. I prefer not to stick my head
in the sand or cover my ears and go "la,la,la, I can't hear you" when
people complain about our bikes. There's been numerous cases where if
we hadn't all complained about the same problems, the dealers would
have been able to get away with claiming the problems were isolated
and we would have been stuck paying for repairs rather than getting
them recalled or done under warranty. I'm going through the same
thing with the brakes on my Dakota Quad Cab. If I had read of all the
people making the same complaint before I bought it, I probably would
have bought another brand. Instead, I only found the problem after it
happened to me, of course right after the warranty ran out.

I've only managed to put 24k on my 99, but in my defense, I used to
work at home and now my commute is only a half mile so I don't use
the bike for commuting. Plus I have several two other bikes in the
stable that the mileage gets split between. But in those 24k I've had
these problems:

Fuel Sender - Two that were inaccurate, two that leaked
Speedometer - One replaced under warranty, just as inaccurate as the first
Center Stand replaced under warranty
Bolts replaced under warranty
Header Crack - Replaced under warranty
Temperature sensor failed (1000 miles from home, limped it back)
Rear axle bearing seized (100 miles from home, had to trailer it back)

I had to look up what FUD was, and this isn't FUD. It's real life experience.

- --
Matt Knowles - Ferndale, CA - http://www.knowlesville.com/matt/motorcycles
'99 Sprint ST - for going fast and far (2CZUSA)
'01 KLR650 - for exploring the North Coast backroads
'97 KLX300 & '01 Lakota - for playing in the dirt
'79 KZ400 - just because it was the first vehicle I ever owned