[ST] Very Sudden Battery Death?

Yum.  Another cursed weekend.  After all my minor servicings last
weekend, and Mr ST running like an absolute dream, I wandered out to
start him after work on Friday and he got as far as one "wup" before
dying completely.  Even flashing the high beam was enough to blank the
trip meter, so the battery was well and truly flat!  I'm 99% sure I
didn't leave the parking light on, and was one of the first people in
here in the morning, so I'm sure someone would have told me if I was
glowing all day.

New battery on order today, and I should have it for this afternoon
thanks to an enthusiastic local supplier, but I'm bamboozled by how the
bike went from starting heartily in the morning to doing nothing 8 hours
later.  Poor thing!

I reckon the battery is the original (I got the bike when it was less
than 2 years old), and I've looked after it well enough.  A couple of
trickle charges over the past couple of years when I haven't been using
the bike, and it doesn't do too many short trips either.  Heated grips
haven't been used this year, thanks to peculiarly warm Scotland.  3 and
a half years isn't bad for any battery, in my experience.

Is sudden failure like this common on the gel batteries?  I've always
had plenty of warning on other bikes when the battery is dying (and
stubborn recharging, topping up, bump starting on cold mornings etc. to
prove it!)

Next weekend?  Maybe?  My own bike in rideable condition?  Would be nice.

Andrew