Re: [ST] Very Sudden Battery Death?

On Mon, 07 Jun 2004 10:59:59 +0100, Andrew Tait wrote
> Yum.  Another cursed weekend.  After all my minor servicings last
> weekend, and Mr ST running like an absolute dream, I wandered out to
> start him after work on Friday and he got as far as one "wup" before
> dying completely.  Even flashing the high beam was enough to blank
> the trip meter, so the battery was well and truly flat!  I'm 99%
> sure I didn't leave the parking light on, and was one of the first
> people in here in the morning, so I'm sure someone would have told
> me if I was glowing all day.
>
> New battery on order today, and I should have it for this afternoon
> thanks to an enthusiastic local supplier, but I'm bamboozled by how
> the bike went from starting heartily in the morning to doing nothing
> 8 hours later.  Poor thing!
>
> I reckon the battery is the original (I got the bike when it was
> less than 2 years old), and I've looked after it well enough.  A
> couple of trickle charges over the past couple of years when I
> haven't been using the bike, and it doesn't do too many short trips
> either.  Heated grips haven't been used this year, thanks to
> peculiarly warm Scotland.  3 and a half years isn't bad for any
> battery, in my experience.
>
> Is sudden failure like this common on the gel batteries?  I've

Do you have an alarm fitted?

> always had plenty of warning on other bikes when the battery is
> dying (and stubborn recharging, topping up, bump starting on cold
> mornings etc. to prove it!)
>
> Next weekend?  Maybe?  My own bike in rideable condition?  Would be nice.
>
> Andrew

> *   *   *      The ST/RS Mailing list is sponsored by Jack Lilley
> Ltd.          http://www.TriumphNet.com/st/lilley for more info

- --
SimonB - South Wales. BOF#32
email simonb_at_zapik_dot_co_dot_uk@xxxxxxx
http://simonb.zapik.com
Triumph Sprint ST, ZXR750L2 Wazimbaki. Kawasaki Z1R *Still For Sale*
CON of the month http://zapik.com/simonb/fiddle.html