Re: [ST] Very Sudden Battery Death?

At 10:59 07/06/2004, Andrew Tait wrote:
>Yum.  Another cursed weekend.  <snip>  I'm 99% sure I didn't leave the
>parking light on, and was one of the first people in here in the morning,
>so I'm sure someone would have told me if I was glowing all day.

I wouldn't bet on it. In the sunshine they might not even notice it.
Leaving the lights on seems to drain the battery to a state where it won't
start the brute in a frighteningly short space of time on these bikes. I'm
sure Mike Bostock had some battery fun recently.

You should have given me a shout too. We could have jumped your bike from
mine using the NEL's leads. Did you bump start it eventually?

>New battery on order today, and I should have it for this afternoon thanks
>to an enthusiastic local supplier,

Who was that as a matter of interest?

>but I'm bamboozled by how the bike went from starting heartily in the
>morning to doing nothing 8 hours later.  Poor thing!

Indeed. If the alarm isn't the culprit, and the heated grips haven't been
left on, then get the new battery ready but leave it on hold. That way either:
a) You'll never need it
b) You'll only need it when you're several hundred miles from home on a
Sunday when there is no one at home to bring it out to you and your
breakdown cover has expired

Or you could simply fit the new one and not worry about it ever again. It
would be good to know what caused it though .... rectifier or regulator
failure .....?

- - Spud.

PS The following is also worth a read if you haven't seen it before:
http://www.mcnews.com/mcnews/articles/battery.htm