Re: [ST] Very Sudden Battery Death?

Hi Bil,

Just checked my "ST" folder and there are hunners of replies.  Ace!

Bil Swartz wrote:

> The only Sudden Battery Death Syndrome I've hear of was in Yuasa wet-cell
> batteries.  Rider would go to fire up bike, turn on ignition, hit starter
> button and hear a prominent "snap" IIRC.

Ahh, I didn't realise it applied more to wet cell.  Interesting, as this
is the first time the gel battery has done anything apart from work!

:-)  The best battery failure I ever had was a rectifier failure miles
away from home.  Bump started the bike and limped home at about 50mph.
Got home to find every bulb had blown, and the battery was boiled dry.

Filled with tap water (*cough*) charged at 1.2A for 10 hours, and it ran
for another 12 months.

With new rectifier and bulbs, of course...

> I've not seen any reports of this with the gel/sealed battery, but wonder
> what make you have there.  I'd put a charge on it and see how it does,
> hoping it turns out it was the parking light.

It's got a Yuasa YTX-14BS in it.

I'm kinda hoping it was the parking light too!  I'll try and start the
beast tonight and if it whips over merrily I think I'll be happy.  New
battery goes in anyway, but at least I can sing the parking light song
to myself.

Off to make up a parking light song now...

Andrew