[ST] dead batt/engine light

Today I went out to go for a ride and my battery was dead.  I had a new
battery installed a month ago and have not had any problems in 1500
miles.  I charged the battery and started the bike and now the engine
light is on and stays on.  Anyone have a clue where to start?  I am
absolutely helpless with electrical problems of about any nature.  The
bike is an 00 RS and has 49500miles and have never had an issue until
this point.  Any advice or knowledge on this problem is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Tim Elliott