Re: [ST] First question!/pardon my ignorance

My RS is my first modern machine and I really have had no problems with
the suspension.  The one thing that occurred to me last night while
riding was, I don't even know what better or great suspension feels
like.  Then I was thinking maybe better or great suspension really is
not better or so great for sport tour riding on real roads.  I would
love the chance to ride something that is set up with a race tech front
and an ohlins rear, but I just don't think I could part with that kind
of money on the chance I may not be happy with it.  Modern machines are
designed a certain way for a reason and I believe each bike is designed
to perform a certain way and built that way.  For every mod or
enhancement a person does to a bike there is a trade off.  Sometimes
these trade offs are not so good.  I once put a bigger sprocket on the
rear and was not happy  with the higher revving motor and the lose of
top end speed.  I always felt like I was abusing the crap out of the
bike because it sounded like the RPM's were going to force the bike to
explode, so the end result was I used the 45.00 sprocket for two weeks
and now it hangs on my garage wall.  I have never messed with the rear
shock setting in 49584 miles  and have never been let down by the stock
shock in any situation or style of riding, but then again I wouldn't
know what to do or what to feel for if I did change the settings.
Sometimes I wish I were a performance guru, but then I probably would
ride less because of my insane desire to make the bike perform better
than it was intended.  Perhaps someday I will have the opportunity to
ride a "nicely" set up bike and feel the difference first hand.  Just my
rant and .02 worth.

Tim Elliott