[ST] Ride from work

Last Friday I had an interesting ride from work. Friday afternoon rush
hour in New York City is wonderful. I have to concentrate so much on the
traffic that I quickly forget about work. Last Friday the traffic gods
threw me a curve ball. Not the sort of curve ball where you wear your
tux or gown and ride the twisties; I'm using a baseball analogy here.

Southbound traffic was creeping and crawling along West Street so I was
forced to snake my way south. At the turn off for Canal Street I could
see that the heavy traffic continued south, the two lanes to turn east
onto Canal were pretty clear. The problem was at the light where the
westbound traffic coming off Canal wants to go south on West Street.
Gridlock.

I sat in the right of the two lanes, in neutral, with my left elbow on
the tank and my chin on my fist. Suddenly I saw a slot that I would be
able to slide through. I grabbed the clutch, stepped into first, eased
out the clutch, weaved to the right in front of one car and behind a
truck, then left, then right, threaded my way between two more vehicles,
into the left lane and...

"SH!T. WHAT THE F@CK IS THAT???" The pavement in the left lane had this
lovely sheen to it extending all the way to the turn a block ahead and
through the turn. It looked like oil. I was now in the left track of the
lane. I had two choices, continue in the left track to the turn and risk
getting this stuff on my tires just before the light and the left turn,
or cross the slime and get in the right lane and hope that I have enough
traction to stop at the light and make the turn. I opt for Plan B.

As I cross the stuff in as straight a line as possible, I extend my legs
should the dreaded happen. My left boot touches down and slides out.
"Wow! Is that stuff slick!" I survive my crossing of the River Styx,
turn slowly to the left to straighten out in the right lane and look
over and see a puddle. That luscious crimson that looks like blood when
it's on the pavement: transmission fluid. Lots of transmission fluid.

I stop at the light. My boot is still slippery. I give the tires a quick
visual; they look fine. I scrape my boot toe on the pavement to clean
what's left. As the light goes green I slowly make the turn with both
legs extended. I live through the turn and continue east on Canal. I
ride all the way down the right lane to the intersection with Hudson
Street. The right lane is only for traffic continuing east on Canal and
not making the turn into the Holland Tunnel like the left and center
lanes. I cut into the front of the center lane and stop for the light
and the traffic cop. He looks over his shoulder at me then turns and
looks eastward down Canal. Had I tried that stunt in a cage I would have
been sent packing down Canal Street. The traffic cops in NYC at the
tunnels are usually pretty cool. Just don't catch them on a bad donut
day like I did once. But that's another story. When the cop gives us the
OK I turn into the entrance to the Holland Tunnel to pass under the real
River Styx on my escape from Hades.

- --
Steve Lawler
Verona, NJ, USA, Earth

2001 Sprint ST "Blue Devil"

"I feel like a fugitive from the law of averages."
            -- William H. Mauldin