Re: [ST] Tire Pressure on a Worn Rear

On Mar 2, 2004, at 11:56 AM, George Cope wrote:
> Not really.  I 'm looking for a way to put more rubber on the road for
> two
> more weeks until a new one is installed.  I think the less pressure,
> the
> more the tire spreads out over the road.

Right!  Also, the more tire that contacts the road, the more heat that
is generated.  The hotter a tire gets, the softer the rubber becomes
and the faster the rubber wears.  And, unless you're just going to go
around in circles, the point of highest temperature and wear will be
right down the middle where you tire is currently the thinnest.

In other words, lowering your tire pressure will have exactly the
opposite effect of what you're seeking.  Keeping your tire pressure at
the max allowed (the value is printed on the sidewall) is the best way
to stretch the life of your tire.
- --
Blake "Dawgbert" Sobiloff <sobiloff@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
President, Triumph Sport Riders Assoc.