Re: [ST] Tire Pressure on a Worn Rear

Damnit !  I deleted this post, once, and was just gonna let it go, but I
can't.  Cause this is just wrong thinking.  No offense, Craig,
BUT..................

>From: Craig Tate <craigtt@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

>First, let me say that if your tire is so warn as to be unsafe, my advice
>would be, don't ride until you replace the tire.  In my younger, poorer
>days I have ridden with cord showing because I couldn't afford a
>replacement - but I'd never do that today.

     Agreed, if cord is showing and you aren't a 100+ miles from home
     Don't ride on it, except to get to the shop.

>Secondly, to state that most tire wear is caused by heat, is an over
>simplification and one that has been misinterpreted in these discussions.
>Under inflated tires generate additional heat because of the increased
>flexing of the sidewalls.  This heat, in turn, warms the tread, making it
>softer and more susceptible to abrasion from the road surface.  It is
>abrasion that causes tire wear - heat only exacerbates the process.  The
>question is, "what part of the tire will be worn when the tire is under
>inflated?"  Rather than take my advice, or the advice of others here, look
>at any tire manufacturer's web site.  You will see that under inflated
>tires wear on the shoulders, over inflated tires wear in the center.  Now,
>ask yourself where you have the most remaining tread.
>
>Craig

     See, this is EXACTLY what "we" (in the royal we) are saying.
     I agree, under inflated tires generate additional heat, excabarating
     the wear process.  I never said that heat, in itself causes tires to
     wear.  That's why running at +100 for a long time will wear a tire
     out in a few hundred miles vs. several 1000 miles (don't ask me
     why I know this).  But your conclusion is in error concerning an
     already worn tire.  Under inflated tires wear on the shoulders
     precisely because of the flexing of the sidewalls, as you mentioned.
     NOT because of any abrasion.  The heat generated by under inflation
     causes the cords/belts in the sidewall to breakdown.  AND this heat
     IS transferred to the main body of the tire (in this case already at
it's
     limit, and therefore, faster wear).  And finally, are you suggesting
that
     our hero run his last remaining miles on the SHOULDERS of the tires?
     Hell, even Rossi can't do that.  We ride on the tread, and further
     weakening the shoulders will not extend the life of the tread portion.

     Steve Duncan
     Tejas