Re: [ST] Tire Pressure on a Worn Rear

On Tue, Mar 02, 2004 at 07:01:30PM -0600, Steve Duncan wrote:
> You might be surprised just how thin, ~thin~ is if you have worn the tire
> down past the treads.  How thin??  Well, Brian D can attest that a small
> rock sliver, no more than an 1/8" of an inch punctured his well worn tire
> last year up in N. Ark.  In fact, exactly one year ago, as we were up there
> for a little get together to watch the Daytona 200.  As a matter of fact,
> I'm headed back up thataway Friday, to do it again.  500 miles, one way,
> just to watch a race I could watch at home, then turn around and head back
> home.  It don't get any better than that  :)))

> Absofreakinloutly, Matt.  When I see the wear bars, I replace the tire
> (unlike Brian <bfg>).  See, I never know if any given ride will be 300 miles
> or 1000 miles in a day, it's all in the cards.

Yeah, yeah, yeah.  That wasn't my smartest move going on a trip with an
on-the-way-out tire.  Then again, I had no idea that the D207s that came
on the bike would wear so fast.

This is a funny coincidence, though, as I just put a new rear on the VFR
at work today.  Reading some of the posts the last few days about
mix&matching tires made me decide to go with a rear BT010 to match the
front.  I had a 010 front/020 combo, which I liked better than anything
else I've ever run (all dunlop up to this point).

I got 6k miles out of the 020 and it's down to the wearbars.  See, I
replaced it before cord started to show--I have learned something.

At work I set a 010 and an 020 rear side by side, and they do have a
much different profile.  Same height, but the 010 slopes more, whereas
the 020 looks like a perfect semi-circle.

I haven't got them scrubbed in yet, and had to ride home in the rain on
them, so no real feedback yet on the matched set, but they feel pretty
good what little I could tell.

Laters,
Brian
- --