[ST] for george - Tire Pressure on a Rear

 >>> If I put 42psi in the rear, won't I be causing the tire to be
more rounded, less contact with the road?  And vice versa: less
pressure, more contact with the road? <<<

    Yes,... exactly!  Which is why, when rolling straight ahead, a
narrower strip of rubber (the center of the tread) is in contact with
the road and carrying the full weight.  Higher footprint pressure =
higher wear rate.

 >>> are you suggesting that our hero run his last remaining miles on
the SHOULDERS of the tires? <<<

    Okay, I wasn't going to mention this because it brings my
judgement into question (no big deal, I guess, everyone knows I've
had three marriages).
A few years ago I found myself at Lake Tahoe on a Saturday evening,
over 400 mi. of back-country road away from home, with the cord
showing on my rear radial.  The bare strip was slightly left of
centerline, because the roads are all crowned and riding on the right
side of the road - here in the colonies - wears the tires a little
left of center.  I rode home taking advantage of the crown by riding
90% of the time on the wrong side of the road - left of the
centerline - where I was able to see far enough ahead to feel safe
doing so.  Fortunately, I didn't have to try to explain myself to a
denizen of the law and arrived home with no noticeable additional
wear on the left side of centerline, just on the right side.  Mind
you this is not a recommendation,.... just something to consider if
you REALLY need to ride on a tire in this condition.
                                        doggydoo   - - - o&\o

      Don't forget to vote for the unctuous political thug of your
choice!

End of st-digest V2004 #118