Re: [ST] for george - Tire Pressure on a Rear

On Tue, 02 Mar 2004 10:57:09 -0800, don draper wrote:

>that was always run at 42?   It seems to me that the lower pressure
>will put a bit more center tread on the pavement. <<<
>
>    Even 36 is a little high to run in a rear unles you USUALLY ride
>two up and you're both size large (owner's manual notwithstanding).
>The HIGHER the pressure, the MORE center tread on the pavement; lower
>pressure wears the sides more.

As a rule of thumb, high pressure leads to longer tire life.
Low pressure cause more heat build up. But a worn tire will be thinner which
will dissipate heat faster.
I strongly disagree with "high pressure puts more tread on pavement". At
lower pressures the tire will deform more, which puts more tread on the
pavement. That is true for both the center and sides of a tire.

A minor exception to more psi giving longer life would be if your pressure is
so high that the tire does not stick well. Sliding will wear a tire quickly. So the
best tire pressure for best mileage will depend some on how/where you ride.
If you ride gentle enough then more pressure is best.

David W. Funk
'00 Triumph Sprint ST
Pleasanton, CA