Re: [ST] Front Master Cylinder Upgrade

Garry,

You may remember our talking about our yellow '02 RSs at last
summer's Allegheny Raid in St. Mary's...

My front brake had suffered from sponginess/excess travel (after a
few thousand miles) that bleeding did not correct.  None of the
recommended caliper piston cleaning had been posted to this site at
the time, so this had never been done.

After speaking with John King about the potential benefit of his
upgrade kit, I ordered and installed SkyKing's kit.  The improvement
is dramatic: more braking force due to the larger bore of the master
cylinder, slightly better feel (due to the equal-length caliper
hoses?), and NONE of the previous lever slop.  Since the caliper
pistons have never been cleaned, the upgrade kit is apparently more
than compensating, even after several thousands of miles.  The shop
owner at Hermy's and his mechanics were similarly impressed when they
rode the bike.  I regard this upgrade as essential as performing the
RaceTech fork mod -- both *greatly* improve the enjoyment/potential
of the RS at near-sportbike level.

I've also installed SkyKing's frame sliders; the Z-shaped design and
its components seemed very robust when I subjected them to a
torture-test in my bench vise before installation.  If you install
them, have plenty of socket extensions and a helper handy...

Hope this helps,

Mike
Harrisburg, PA