[ST] Re: crankshaft vs. countershaft-101

 >>> Then what is the crank. I always thought the crank is the "crank
shaft", i.e. the final output shaft from the engine. In our case,
what we are calling the counter shaft that the front sprocket is
attached to. <<<

    Were the front sprocket attached to the crankshaft, you would
have only one gear - engine speed - and no way to remove power from
the rear wheel except the kill switch; like those old World War I
fighter planes that had rotary engines (the whole engine rotated with
the propellor, not the same as a radial engine where the cyliners are
arranged radially in a circle but the engine didn't turn).  On our
bikes, power goes from the crankshaft to the clutch via the primary
chain or gear drive (Triumph) - and thence through the transmission
shafts and gears to the countershaft sprocket (or bevel gear if it's
a driveshaft).  There are a very few bikes (the new Triumph Rocket
III may be one) with crankshafts in line with the wheels which drive
the clutch straight off the end of the crankshaft, like most cars.
End of my knowledge;
                                          doggydoo   - - - o&\o

End of st-digest V2004 #125