Re: [ST] shutting down the ST

Re: Don't use the kill switch
> This has been stated numerous times on this list.  However, where is
> the evidence to support this?  I frequently use the kill-switch -

I think I'm the guy who started this whole mess by getting an Engine
Management Indicator Error light to stick on.  If you read the service
manual (which I did not until I had the problem fixed), Chapter 9 pages
about 7 through 22 in the 2002 and after version (don't know about the
earlier manual) you get a sense of what happens in the computer on an error
or shutdown and how to do a reset. In "my" opinion using the kill switch
"probably" doesn't do any real damage because "I believe" that nothing is
getting stored unless an error condition or something abnormal is occurring.
That being said, if you use the kill switch when trying to do a reset, I'm
not sure that it will reset because it may not achieve the "count" process.
I also get the feeling after reading the manual that use of the kill switch
was seen as an "emergency stop" kind of situationa and that the designers
"believe" a "normal" shut down is turning the key off.  There is a lot of
speculation in those last two sentences but that is part of motorcycling,
isn't it?

For me, I have a routine for starting the bike up and for shutting the bike
down.  I shut down the bike by turning off the key.  That saves me some
steps.  First, even if I use the kill switch, I have to turn the key off
anyhow.  Second I have to turn the kill switch back on before my next start.
Don't think it will give me carpel tunnel but it is extra steps I don't
"want" to do.  Did you ever try to start a bike in the middle of a mind fart
with the kill switch engaged????  Oh sh------!  What's wrong?   Since that
happened when the bike was new, checking the kill switch is part of my
startup routine.

Just a few pennies worth,
Rod