[ST] What did I do wrong?

Had a nasty get off on Friday.  I don't understand what happened so I'm
reluctant to get back on the bike until I do.  Here's the story: Friday
morning 7:30am, roads are a bit damp from some overnight rain, but it's not
raining. Temp is about 40.  About 1/2 mile from my house, I come to a stop
sign, where I have to turn left. It's a T junction.  I stop. Nothing coming
from the right.  One car coming from the left, but he's far enough away for
me to make the turn.  So I start the turn......

Well that's all I remember.  Next thing I know is I'm waking up on the
ground with some EMT guys asking if I know where I am (I didn't!).  So after
a visit to the ER, x-rays, CT scans etc, they let me go.  When I see the
bike, it is not a pretty sight.  The right side fairing is completely
trashed - including the right side of the cockpit.  There's even a gash in
the seat - again on the right side.  Not sure what other damage there is as
yet.

So my question to the gurus on the list, is what the hell happened??  My own
theory is that the bike started to slide out in the (left) turn, then
suddenly got traction again, and flipped violently over onto the right.
Thing is, I don't remember any of it, or if I did something to make it
worse.  So I guess I'm hoping for some answers on what happened, and is
there anything I could have done to prevent this.

Thanks,

Mort Harries
Haworth NJ

PS: Thank God I was wearing a full face helmet.  Judging by the deep
scratches on the right side of my helmet and visor, I'd have needed major
face surgery without it.  Wasn't going fast enough to need road rash
protection, but all my protective gear helped soften the impact.  Just have
some bruises on my right hip and shoulder.