Re: [ST] Frustrated with Shock Selection for Sprint RS....any ideas/advice?

Bryce,
Call me a jerk or mybe I'm just naive, but I just wouldn't know what to do
with 50 clicks of compression or rebound damping.   I went through the
suspension tuning on a Kawasaki Concours.  Got RT's up front which made a
world of differnce then figured I "had" to upgrade the rear.  Now let me
make this clear up front, comparing a Sprint to a Connie is like comparing a
ballarina to an elephant in tights.  Anyhow, I got a Progressive 420 shock,
replaced the spring with a dual rate, and commenced to measure static sag.
Got so frustrated that I finally just cranked the preload around until it
felt good and threw away the ruler - said to hell with sag recommendations.
Know what, wish I did did that right off the bat.

Here's a recommendations sent in pure take it or trash it fashion (it won't
hurt my feelings at all).   First, truthfully evaluate what kind of riding
you do AND your ability to tune a suspension.   Do you need compression and
rebound adjustment?  Do you need an external reservoir?  Do you need a $750
to $1500 shock?  You can try to respring the stock shock first.  I just put
on a Hyperpro spring and so far it feels great, but whatever company, it's
an easy place to start.   See how that feels.  With Hyperpro, you can send
it back if you don't like it.  Next step would be a revalve.  At least if
you can find someone who can revalve the stock shock, most likely you have
found the guy to rebuild it as well.  If these all fail then it's time for a
new shock.   It looks like all the aftermarket shocks have pre-load screw
collars.  I hate those spanners too, but there just may not be any other
alternative.  Maybe another bike's shock may be the answer.  Maybe a letter
to Showa is in order.  They make the stock shock and may have a rebuildable
model to fit.

Hope this helps,
Rod