Re: [ST] GPS?

Bryce,
I have a GPS V.

> While the fixed MB *could* be a problem, it's all in
> how u plan out your routes.  A buddy with a 19mb
> Garmin V led us down and back on the BRP to GA rfom CT
> and also all the local twisties in the area once we
> got down there, no troubles.  With the 56megs I think
> I'll do just fine.

You can not load up the state of PA in those 19 mb, maybe half the state.  I
went from PA to the Dragon/Smokies last summer.  I could only load parts of
Western NC, TN to around Knoxville.   When I go to Ohio, right on the Ohio
River from State College, I have to leave out Pittsburgh if I want to dip
down into WV.   On longer trips 19 mb is way too small to have any
flexibility.  You must decide before you leave exactly where you want the
most detail.   Autorouting doesn't work well at all with a mix of detailed
and base maps.  If you  totally understand that implications of what I'm
saying and don't require detailed maps over larger areas, go for it.  I will
tell you right now (have the MapSource software open right now), detailed
coverage from CT to GA along the BRP will not load into 56 mb without
skipping major areas.  Starting in the CT on the border of NYC and taking
the most direct maps, I was at 64 mb upon entering NC.  That's with no
flexibility at all.

I highly recommend that you try one before you buy it. Borrow your friends
unit and have him show you how he loads the maps.  It's not a lot of fun to
hit the edge of a detail map and have the road disappear and routing change
to "off route" which equates to cross country.

Rod