Re: [ST] GPS?

I have had a Garmin eMap for 3 years. The novelty does wear off. But there
are some very handy things about having a GPS. One of my favorite things
is that the GPS can find things when I am in a strange town. While it is true
that I don't use this feature too often, it is really great to be able to find a
motel, restaurant, or ATM; when you are somewhere you have never been
before. To do this the Garmin requires maps downloaded from their
MapSource database CD. This takes memory, the more the better. I have a
32MB data card in my eMap. For my riding in California, this is not quite large
enough. I get by ok, but most choose what data I want and download new
data before each trip. I think 64MB would cover California pretty well.
  The eMap was the cheapest gps Garmin made at the time. They have
replaced it with a newer version. It was way less the $1000, even with all the
extras. The expensive, high power units with color, touch screens, auto-
routing, and such just are not worth it to me.
  I like the misc. features at least as much as the main map function. I like
having my true speed, distance, trip time, moving time, ... While riding the
map display is a bit small. If you don't know where you are going, you can't
use the gps map while you are moving. If you do know more or less where
you are, the gps give good clues that your turn off is coming; that your next
stop is XX miles away; or that you just missed the road you where looking
for.
  Paper maps are still required to plan a route or trip. I thing a gps is useless
for planing a ride. The screen is just too small. Just think about using a
paper map, if you folded it so only a 3"x3" square showed at any one time. I
am talking about motorcycle riding / sport touring. I never ride from San Jose
to Lake Tahoe. I ride the interesting roads that just happen to go between
those places.
  A gps can be distracting. When my eMap was new, I caught myself looking
at the gps when it would have been MUCH better to be watching the road
and traffic.
  If you get a GPS, you really need as much memory as you can afford; a PC
connector cable, a power cable, and the map database CD. For my cheap
gps unit, the extras were about equal to the base cost.
I used a RAM mount and it works fine.

David W. Funk
'00 Triumph Sprint ST
Pleasanton, CA

On Sat, 13 Mar 2004 18:31:33 -0500, Rod Brown wrote:

>Just a comment.  Any GPS unit is just a nice tool but none of them are
necessities.  I never leave the house without paper maps in addition to the
GPS.  The novelty WILL wear off.   If it comes down to a choice of $1000 for
a GPS or $1000 for improved safety or performance,