From: Shawn Mouser [mailto:srmouser@xxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Tuesday, March 16, 2004 1:44 PM
To: ST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [ST] Not a tire thread!

Hi All,

I've been reading the list for months with interest and I've been
content to lurk and learn. Now I have two questions that are tire
related but hopefully won't start another dreaded tire thread.

I've had my '02 BRG ST for a few months now and I have right at 4k
miles on it. I love it BTW. To my great dismay, with only 4k miles I
already need to replace the stock tires. The rear is basically bald and
the front is pretty badly worn. I live in SoCal right near Angeles
Crest Hwy and do a bit of what might be loosely called "sport riding"
on that stretch of road... but I'm no knee dragger. Is my experience
out of the realm of "normal" for the stock Bridgestones?

That question really is just a curiosity because even if the answer is
"no" there's nothing I can really do about it. However... I have
another question. I called my local dealer who will remain nameless for
now... and of course their price for a new set of tires was way higher
than what I could order them for online... so I checked into the price
for having them mount a set that I bring in. They want $120 just to
mount and balance etc. I'm not set up to remove the wheels and bring
them in so I was gonna bring the bike in and have them do it (more
labor for them I know). My other bike is a Sportster and I've had
several sets of tires mounted on it and even the infamously overpriced
Harley Stealers never charged me nearly that much! So my question is
obvious... should I pay $120 to have a set of tires mounted... is this
the going rate for our bikes?

To help avoid the dreaded tire thread... I've already read with
interest what tires people are running on our bikes and have made my
decision on what I'm ordering. This isn't a request for opinions on
tires... or tyres either.

Thanks in advance.

Shawn
Los Angeles