re: [ST] Cruise control

<...Have I got time to get one and install before the Coast to Coast
ride?>

i spent a couple of long evenings with highly competent help just before a
SS2000 ride last fall, and didn't finish the install. i finally decided
that sleep and an o-ring were better than tired and a cruise - then let it
lie fallow over the winter [did the ride fine]. if you have NOTHIBG else
to do and start today, yes, it can be done.

i got my lead from the FJR1300 list [
http://www.fjr1300.info/howto/audiovox.html ]. on my ST, the servo mounts
nicely on the right side, nose up just clearing the radiator. i used 1/4 x
1 aluminum to fab some brackets to the radiator mount and to the fairing
mount at the bottom. you have to pull the tank to get the throttle pull
mounted; mine is home-brew bracketed to pull downwards in the middle, and
i used the FJR suggestion of undoing one of the return springs.

the trick is to find a place for the vacumm reservoir. i tried a toilet
ball stuffed in the front left of the fairing, but my epoxied-on fitting
didn't; the plastic ball rejected the epoxy [!!]. there are automotive
reservoirs for like $7, try a speedometer shop that installs cruise
controls.

another tip from the FJR list - the switch that comes with the kit is not
waterproof. think about a dormant, turned-off cruise control that wakes up
and and grabs the gas on a rainy day. yikes. so - snap the cover off the
switch, fill the nooks and cranniees with waterproof dielectric silicone
goomba. and put a simple off switch on the power line coming in.

the cruise came from my local Autozone - they had to dig around inthe
Audiovox car radio display.

bruce