[ST] Re: st-digest V2004 #155

<Others have posted this $1 solution but maybe some don't understand how
simple/cheap the O-ring Throttle Lock solution can be.

(picture is worth 1000 words)
http://members.cox.net/bobgeez/ON
http://members.cox.net/bobgeez/OFF

You can even use it in the ON position when riding through towns; very low
friction, but it holds throttle position (neutralizing spring) in the ON
position.

Bob Nixon>

well and simply said. my Caterpillar Oring is ON all the time. since i
always throttle down as well as up, i don't encounter the over-rev issue.

but:
1) my Oring slips a bit, so although it relieves the wrist torque always,
and lets me let go for a finger wrist/finger wriggle, i will soon have to
tweak speed back up.
2) because the power/weight/rpm curves are fairly steep on the ST, even a
small change in road gradient or wind load will change the speed of the
bike. over the crest of a hill, it will roll up +5 mph. when you're
running at 78 in a 70 zone, that can get you into trouble.
3) there is a mental distraction of monitoring speed

the true cruise control will hold speed constant effortlessly.

bp