[ST] Re: Question about installing Skyking frame sliders

David,

I just did this install last Saturday on my '01 ST and it took all of 15
minutes. No panel removal required. The key is a 16" ratchet extension (or a
combination of smaller extensions equaling a little over 12") and a willing
assistant. If you look through one side vent in the fairing to the opposite side of
the bike, you can see the back side of that T55 bolt and the nut (which is
17mm). I just used a socket wrench with a 16" extension to get on that backside
nut, then had an assistant who held the wrench while I removed the T55 on the
opposite side of the bike with another wrench with a shorter extension. Piece of
cake. The only fiddly thing is getting the new washer and nut on the backside
of the slider but it can be done. Luckily my hands are small enough I could
slip them in holding the parts in my finger tips to get them started, but you
could also use double sided tape to stick them to the end of the long extension
and put them through from the opposite side. I also used masking tape around
the edges of both vents (as recommended in the instructions) and I was glad I
did, as I had a couple of instances of the wrench touching the paint that
could have easily chipped or scratched it. I think the T55 socket was $4 at Kragen
and if you don't have the other tools, it makes a good excuse to get them
cause they are handy for lots of other things!

On my bike, I only had the large radiator hose on the left side that needed
to be encouraged upwards a bit to clear the metal shaft of the slider. In a
way, the realignment is an improvement because the hose was already rubbing on
the rough edge of that T55 bolt anyway.

Good Luck!

Jill Lee-Jones