[ST] Upcoming Trip

I have to be in Minnesota in a couple of weeks for business and I am
seriously thinking or riding there and back to explore more of the "T"
in "ST".  This will easily be the longest trip I have ever undertaken on
a bike and part of me says you must be mad and the other part says
bollocks to it, "Just Do It" - that would make a good catchphrase for
someone BTW....

I am thinking of going partly via Canada (I live in Framingham, MA) and
I was hoping someone may have answers to the following (just a small
selection of a shite load I have going through my head right now):

Am I covered for travel in Canada with regards to bike insurance - if
not what do I have to do to get coverage?
Does anyone know some good roads to take - or know where I can find out
some.  Rather not have to slab it if I can help it - I am planning on
doing about 4/500 miles a day (its about 1,400 miles total) ?  I am in
AAA and I have used their Trip-Tiks before but not sure if you can
specify the type of route there (i.e. not slab it but take a more scenic
route) - is this indeed possible.
Is there any alternative to the AMA roadside help - I really don't want
to get stuck in the mid-west without some form of assistance at the end
of a phone ?
What are the kinds of things I should take to help ensure I get there (I
am thinking tire plugger kit, compressor etc.) ?
I am planning on staying in cheap motels both there and back - any
recommendations on the best national chain - I would rather book it
before I go to ensure I can get somewhere to lay my weary head ??

I have lots of questions and right now I am not 100% sure I am going to
ride but any help/advice/routes etc. would be very welcome.

Thanks,

Kevin

Kevin J. Dicks
Framingham, MA