RE: [ST] Upcoming Trip

> Am I covered for travel in Canada with regards to bike insurance - if
> not what do I have to do to get coverage?

Probably, but I suspect (as with all things from the U.S.) it will depend on coverage offered in your state, by your local insurance company affiliates.

> Does anyone know some good roads to take - or know where I
> can find out
> some.

Lived in MN for six years. My recommendations for roads:

The north shore of Lake Superior between Grand Marais and Duluth. Not twisty or anything (nothing in the midwest is, so don't hold out for it), but two lanes (mostly) and beautiful...strike that...BEAUTIFUL.

The south shore of Lake Superior through the Upper Peninsula (U.P.) and across northern Wisconsin.

The north shore of Lake Michigan through the U.P. from Mackinac Bridge to Iron Mountain.

Either side of the Mississippi river from La Crosse Wisconsin up to I-94.  Actually, I'm a bit partial to the Wisconsin side, but, both are beautiful.

> I am in
> AAA and I have used their Trip-Tiks before but not sure if you can
> specify the type of route there (i.e. not slab it but take a
> more scenic
> route) - is this indeed possible.

Dunno...never us 'em. I always just get the map and tik my own trip.

> I have lots of questions and right now I am not 100% sure I
> am going to
> ride but any help/advice/routes etc. would be very welcome.

I took my first LD tour last year and had a blast. I brought tools to make sure that wheels could come off if I needed service (super big socket for the rear and super big allen for the front).

I didn't bring a tire plug kit. My looking around at the time made me decide to get the repair-in-a-can stuff. It sounded like that could get me to someplace civilized and then I could have someone repair the tire there.

I also didn't get a tow option. I chanced it and figured that if my bike broke, I would just tow it and deal with the cost later.

A couple of other things to consider. If this is your first time doing a long distance tour, 500 miles per day may be ambitious. I don't know what you're used to. My first day was 500 miles, and it was very tough on my body. I'm glad my second day was less than 200...it gave me a chance to go easy and not worry (Ironbutt, I am not!). You may be different, but that was my experience. Also, you probably shouldn't play a two-hour soccer game the day before you leave. I'm sure this significantly impacted my experience that first day out...ouch... And most importantly...write up a trip report afterwards. Everyone on the list likes to read them and will definitely thank you.

Good luck, enjoy the upper mid west.

Peter Chittum
'01 BRG ST
San Jose, CA, USA