[ST] Dead ST

I was roaring along yesterday avoiding the apparently pending rain and
thinking, "God this thing is running great".  Well I came to a stop at a
remote stop sign and  as I took off and hit second, the bike acted like I
hit 5th  and stalled out.  It would not start, the starter turns but no
fire.  Well I pushed for a while until some kind folks offered that I could
leave my bike with them and they would give me a ride.  I will swing by with
a trailer and pick it up.   I just filled it with gas ($10 !).  There was no
leaks, I noticed that the fuel guage took a while to get to full, it may
always but i noticed it this time.  Any one ever have something like this
happen?  I suspect the engine management system, what about the timing belt,
if it breaks do the valves collide with the pistons?

It is a 2001 BRG ST, about 10K of so far trouble free miles, except for when
the high pressure quick connect fuel fitting gave way.

Cheers
Ed