Re: [ST] Day Ride, Fun in Piney Woods

Hey Garry,  Well maybe I exaggerated just a 'wee bit'  :))  I think I hit
150 for a short spell, trying to keep up with Mr. R1, but we probably were
cruising (at least me) at more around 120 or so..........  He didn't last
very long, in any case and I bet he needed some aloe-vera for his back.

That's a pretty worn out tire in the pic, dude.  :)  I've had a couple of
similar experiences lately.  In March I headed up to N. Ark.  to watch the
Daytona with friends (an annual pilgrimage).  About 100 miles from Mtn.
Home, the two guys riding with me caught up at a stop sign motioning to pull
over.  Yep, steel cord showing big time (a lot like your pic).  The dang
BT-020 didn't look THAT bad when I left Dallas 400 miles earlier.  So we get
on the horn and find a shop in Harrison, 50 miles away that has a tire that
will fit (this is 4:00 on a Friday).  Jet on over and they install a Pirelli
Dragon EVO, the only tire in the right size.  OK, good to go, and that
sucker did grip well, much better'n the 020.  I would have actually
preferred a more sport-touring tire.  But beggars can't be choosers....  The
ride home was a blast.

Fast forward to to April, and my annual trek to Hill Country, the Dragon
looks OK and has maybe 2K on it, surely I can get another 1500 out of it,
right?  Wrong.  Upon arriving at the cabin I check the rear tire and the
wear bars are quite visible.  I could probably get another 500 miles out of
it, but that just puts me to Saturday and still 500 miles from home.  So
another Friday tire search, finds a dealership in San Antone.  I ride over
there and get an Avon mounted, thinking AV-46(?).  But after mounting the
tread pattern looks different than the Avon on my friends Trophy.  Hmmmm,
closer inspection reveals I have an Avon AV-50sp !!!  Drats !!  Another
super-sport tire!  On well, good enough for tearing around Hill Country for
the next few days.  Two tires in exactly 30 days, a new record for me.

So now, here I am with about 1500 miles on this tire and another trip up to
Mtn Home Ark looming over Memorial Day.  What do I do?  Chance another
emergency rear tire replacement or replace a perfectly good tire now?
Hmmmmmm.  I must say the Avon looks no worse for wear at this point.  I we
all know what I intend to do   :)))

Next set of tires will definitely be Avon AV-45 & 46 within the next 4
weeks.  Headed for S.D. June 12th, and that should be 5-6K round trip.

happy trails y'all,

Steve
   Duncan
Dallas
   Tejas

'00 Sprint-ST
(the redhead)

>From: "Garry Simmons" <garrysimmons@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
>To: <ST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>Subject: Re: [ST] Day Ride, Fun in Piney Woods
>Date: Mon, 17 May 2004 20:28:52 -0400
>
>Damn STeve. I gotta head for Texas some day. Take the long way home from or
>something... I couldn't hang with you at the speeds you ride (I bet the 150
>wasn't km/hr :-) ), but it sounds like some great country. Maybe if I get
>laid off or something this summer I could just blow my severance pay on
>tires, gas and beer and roam around the country for a month...
>
>My big adventure was seeing cords showing through my tires 100+ miles from
>home on Sunday. I had had 250 miles of good fun in WV when I noticed the
>shiny bits peaking through the rubber. It's obvious that the wear and tear
>of commuting and mellow country sweepers took it's toll on the middle.
>Here's photo of the very tired Pirelli Diablo when I got home (toast at
>4.5K
>miles):
>
>http://home.adelphia.net/~garrysimmons/tire.jpg
>
>I now have a somewhat used BT-020 on the rear that I hope I can milk until
>mid-June. I figure it's got at least a couple thousand in it if not maybe
>3K
>left... Then it's  a fresh set of either Avons or Michelins...
>
>Garry

>   *

End of st-digest V2004 #263