Re: [ST] Strange electrical problem

Rod Brown wrote:
> Measuring voltage and battery charge seems to be one those things I
> come across every where  I go.  Voltage depends on where you measure
> it.   If you measure across the battery with the key off and a
> charged battery, it should read in the high 12's or low 13's.  If the
> engine is on, you are really measing the charging voltage.  That
> could be all over the place because you have headlights on which draw
> significant current.   The following is my opinion on all of this: if
> it starts quick and you are not having a problem with the battery
> going flat, don't worry about it.   If you are anal on electical
> systems then buy a gismo from Kisan Technology that tells you both
> voltage and amperage at the battery (and charges is it too).  Voltage
> alone only tells you about 75% of the story and you have to make
> assumptions on  the health of the system.  Add amps and you pretty
> much have it wipped.

Thanks for the suggestions Rod & Blake. The confusing thing was the bike was
only putting out about 12.5 volts even when the engine was doing about
3000rpm, the headlights were off and the battery was 1/2 flat. I'm going to
a friends place who's better set up than me to try to track down the
problem. I'll let you know how we go.

Phil
'02 S3