Re: [ST] Torque wrenchs - was I smell Gas

Glad you found the culprit, Rupert.

There have been several comments on torque wrenchs lately.  I have two: a
standard and a small one for situations like this.  What I have found out is
that Sprints need three.  The rear wheel nut and front sprocket, to name a
few require a monster torque wrench.  When your talking 162 N-m, that is
King Kong torque and ya know, I for one am not going to spend big bucks for
something that really doesn't have to be all that anally correct (is there
such a word as anally???).  Then there are the places that have a torque
spec on them that can only be achieved if the engine is on a bench or
something.  I think it was my frame sliders, but whatever it was I was
putting on, one of the bolts that was spec at something N-m was in a place
you could not stick any combination of extension to get a valid torque
reading.  Did you ever hear of the saying "good enough for government work?"
I'm getting to the point where I use the torque wrench in one of the
following three cases: one - it is a multibolt surface that needs even
tightening, two - you have to be real careful not to overtighten, three-
it's just about as easy to use the torque wrench as a wratchet.   It it is a
PITA I don't sweat it and tighten applying whatever common sense I can
muster which may be pretty tough to do.  As a parting food for though
question,  how many mechanics have you seen running around with a torque
wrench in their hand????   When a friend said that to me, I thought about it
and the answer was not too many.

Rod

End of st-digest V2004 #267