[ST] RE: st-digest V2004 #262

http://www.pbase.com/donut/east_texas

>All in all, a good, spur of the moment day ride.  So to the details, if
you
>are so inclined, read along.

>I had meant to get up early and really make a day of it.  However, this

>dream I was having caused me to stay in the sack a bit longer than I
had
>planned.  At 49, ya know, dreams are important.
>Ten a.m. on the dot and kickstand up and on the road.  I had thought of

>heading west into the top of Hill Country, but decided at the last
moment to
>try my hand at the east Texas Piney Woods.  Texas is a big place with
lots
>of different environments.  East Texas is very lush, especially this
time of
>year, so there is where I headed.  No real route or destination, other
than
>I targeted the Davy Crockett Nat'l Forrest as a ride thru.  On your
maps it
>sits just between Crockett and Lufkin TX.

That brought back some memories - I spent 6 months in Diboll/Lufkin a
couple years ago on a contract - I flew into Houston and then took the
rental up that awful road every week for 6 months.  It was a terrible
road with LEOS hiding all over the place - I always wished to have done
it on a bike - they always seemed like great roads round that area.

Glad you enjoyed the ride.

Cheers,

Kevin