[ST] Re: st-digest V2004 #287

Sorry about the weekend Andrew, but I know the feeling. I have a 99 ST
that has taken me some time to warm up to. I've been riding more HP and
less weight and the Sprint was a switch. Last weekend I decided to take
her out for a small tour (3-5 hour loop). Everything was grand as we
stopped at road side Inns and took pictures of the countryside, it
seemed as though I had finally tapped the spirit of the bike. Then it
happened. Just as I was on the return run the oil light came on. I
pulled over in the middle of nowhere to find fluid dripping from the
lower fairing, not oil mind you, coolant. It appears that the
thermostat decided that it was too much fun and wanted to take a break.
No cell reception meant I was in for an adventure up in the heat of the
North Georgia mountains. A local came by an informed me I was 8 miles
from the nearest reception and that they would call someone for me when
they got back to civilization.

On Monday I put in an order for the part at my local Triumph dealer,
that was a week ago. When I bought the bike I had the impression that
living very near (an hours ride) the "North American HQ of Triumph
Worldwide" would be an advantage, not the case. I don't know where they
go for these parts but I feel that a thermostat isn't a rare part on a
5 year old bike with less than 10k. I have owned nearly one of all the
major brand in my 20+ years of riding and never have I waited this long
for common parts. So to hear about your ratty hose isn't unfortunately
a surprise. Triumph puts in some great stuff like stainless lines and
magnesium parts, but cheaps out in other areas and passes the
disappointment on to you. Like cheap plastic fuel couplings and your
hose that other owners accept as simply the price of owning a triumph.
A modern bike should be more reliable, the parts are there that work,
they should use them.

I too would love to be riding this three day weekend, but here I am
waiting on parts to be sent from distant lands. This doesn't help the
bonding process.

Mark Peterson
99 ST

The Triumph Legend Live On