Re: [ST] Chain / Sprockets - where to buy, what to buy

Garry Simmons wrote:
> 15K miles and the rear sprocket is looking a little tired. I don't know if
> it's in the "replace me now" range or not. Haven't actually checked the
> chain using the 321mm for 20 link test. I've got a lot of rides plus maybe a
> track day coming up, so I figure I'll just bite the bullet and put new
> chain/sprockets on along with the new rubber that is on its way. I'll take
> better care of the new set. Promise.
>
> The factory service manual claims my 2002 RS comes with a 108 link DID
> X-ring chain. I changed the front sprocket to an 18T shortly after getting
> the bike and am thinking about going to 18/45 (up 2 in the rear) for even
> more snap. All reports that I've read indicate that the stock 108 will work
> fine with 18/45 although the rear wheel will be more forward. Slightly
> shorter wheelbase is not a bad thing IMO.
>
> So I'm looking for recommendations on where to buy DID X-ring chain. I'm
> going to order the Triumph front sprocket because it's got the rubber on it
> to keep it quiet. The stock rear sprocket is a 43T SunTour. I'm looking for
> recommendations on where to buy a 45T steel sprocket (not sure I want to pay
> extra for hardened aluminum). Triumph prices for sprockets are high. I can
> only imagine what they charge for a chain.
>
> Finally, I need to get the chain on the bike. Does the chain come endless or
> open? If  open, I'll go with the DID rivit master link, not a clip. DID
> advertises their own chain tool for the X-ring chain. Is is really
> necessary? If the chain is endless, how big a deal is it to remove the
> swingarm? Does anyone bother or do you just break the chain and put a master
> link in it?
>
> Garry

Garry,
   I recently replaced my chain and I used a DID 530VM X-ring chain. I
bought a 120 link chain (because it was in stock and I was going riding
with a friend that weekend)  and cut it down. I used a RK cutting and
riveting tool from www.rrpsprockets.com . The also have sprockets but I
don't think they have steel rears. Check them out. I ordered the DID
chain tool from rrpsprockets but it was back ordered and they
recommended the RK  EXCEL (UCT 4060) tool which was $25. cheaper and was
in stock. It worked fine.  The DID chain came with a rivet type master
link. I looked for a clip type master link for the DID 530 chain and
could not find one. I would be curious to hear from people who race as
to weather they use clip master links or rivet master links when they
change gearing for the track. With the tool it is no big deal to cut and
remove the rivet master link but I think those links are about $5.
apiece.  I also installed a Scott Oiler at this time to help with the
maintenance problems. Search the web for DID chains to find the best
price if you can afford to wait for it. If you are in Northern
California you are welcome to borrow my rivet tool.
Al Garvin
San Martin, Ca.