Re: [ST] Chain / Sprockets - where to buy, what to buy

At 10:35 AM 5/31/04, Al Garvin wrote:
 >I looked for a clip type master link for the DID 530 chain and could not
find one. >I would be curious to hear from people who race as to weather
they use clip master >links or rivet master links when they change gearing
for the track. With the tool >it is no big deal to cut and remove the rivet
master link but I think those links >are about $5. apiece.

Depends on what sort of racing you're doing.

For OFF-ROAD, I use a clip master link primarily to facilitate chain
cleaning - easy to take on/off. Mandatory that you use a new clip each time
- - never reuse a master clip.
For road-racing, I use a rived-type master link. But this has nothing to do
with gearing changes. Same length chain no matter what ratio on front/rear
sprockets. Enough adjustability to be able to go up or down on the
rear/front sprockets on my TZ to match the course. Of course, it also helps
that the TZ has a cassette type transmission so I can change any/all of the
6 internal gears easily when needed.

Charlie McCullough
tz250 WERA#90
Duc 748