Re: [ST] Chain / Sprockets - where to buy, what to buy

Garry Simmons wrote:

> The stock rear sprocket is a 43T SunTour. I'm looking for
> recommendations on where to buy a 45T steel sprocket (not sure I want
> to pay extra for hardened aluminum).

Any shop that carries PU or TR  can get you any SunTour sprocket.  Go
steel.  the performace of Al. isn't of value on a touring bike (IMHO).

> Is is really necessary? If the chain is endless, how big a deal is it
> to remove the swingarm?

wouldn't do that unless I was replacing the bearings.  Yuk.

> Does anyone bother or do you just break the
> chain and put a master link in it?

I don't think you can get a master clip link for it.  You can get the
rivit link.  Some large percentage of clip link failures are
installation related (I have botched my share).  Though I am on brief
hiatus from road racing, I use rivet links on race bike (even though
it's a 428 chain).  When I have worked tech, I have seen my share of
improperly installed clip links (yes, even some racers aren't smart
enough to put the clip links on in the correct directions.  I hate to
disrespect my kind, but I think some of them have either hit the melon
once too many or something).

in short.  Invest in DID tool with rivet stake, and have a lifetime of
worry free chains.  If you really want to be the bling bling schiznit of
all your friends, you could alway make a new necklace from the old chain
on an incapacitated buddy..

- --chcuk