Re: [ST] for Rich et all - pump octane

Monday, November 1, 2004, 2:56:33 PM, ST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> we commonly pour in between 2 and 3 gallons of cheapo before we
> start getting what we're paying for.

I've heard guys make this statement before, but believe you are
overestimating the amount in the hose.  According to the mechanic
a www.thecarconnection.com, it's more like three or four cups:

> Q--People whose cars use premium gas don't realize that are
> being cheated. Most cars use regular so the hose is left with
> three gallons (my estimate) of regular fuel in it. Thus, the
> premium fuel buyer pays for premium, but gets some regular.
>
> A--I have heard similar laments from fellow motorcyclists and
> many of them, too, jockey for a pump where the previous
> customer filled up with premium. (I simply exercise good
> manners and allow my pals go first when the group stops for
> gas.)
>
> I spoke with some people in the petroleum marketing and
> dispensing equipment industries, and they claim your fears are
> unfounded. Yes, you do get a bit of regular from that single
> hose dispenser, but not much. The inside diameter is 3/8-inch
> so, depending on the length, you may get about three or four
> cups of regular, not three gallons. In a five-gallon bike tank
> this could make a difference, but not in a 20-gallon Lincoln.

YMMV, of course.  Since Honda specifies 87 for the Blackbird, I
don't worry about it.

- -Keith
'03 Blackbird