[ST] RE: Mileage going down

Greetings;

I also have been told by Triumph Australia to avoid the use of Optimax
if possible....something about the short stroke characteristics of
motorcycle engines not providing enough time between cycles for it to
burn completely, and therefore leaving unburnt residue in your engine,
which can be detrimental.

I just got back from a four day ride over the Melbourne Cup weekend -
from Melbourne to Adelaide and return via various back roads.  Over 1700
km, averaging 18.5 km/l, with the figure going down fast when the speeds
went over 160 km/h for extended periods.  After fanging down the
swervery at over 160 km/h, during heavy rain, I am SO pleased with the
bike!  After 60000 km, it just gets better and better.

Cheers
Tony
'02 Sprint ST Blue
'04 Vespa GT200 Silver

Brett,

I have personally experienced (and heard of others) plug fouling caused
by
using Shell Optimax.  The Triumph dealer I go to has warned me off it.
Interesting you find a drop in power with Vortex, I've been using it
since I
was told not to use Optimax - I'm running out of options here :(  Might
hunt
around for a Mobil or BP outlet.  By the way my dealer told me the
safest thing
to do was to use ordinary unleaded, but I found my ST 'pinged' using it.

Mick in Aus.

*   *