Re: [ST] ST totaled

I have a friend whose BMW R1100RS got a crack in the geabox casing where
the SSSA pivot runs through.  It was very bad news but the ace mechanic
welded it (sorry UK here, so don't ask for his address) and it passed
the DOT test and has not shown any signs of recurrence.

I was amazed what could be done.

Chris Harwood
'00 Eclipse RS
CB250G5
BSA Barracuda

>>> slawler@xxxxxxxxxxx 09/11/2004 10:31:00 >>>
In a previous email, Blake Sobiloff stated:
> Well, enough idle speculation.  I need to figure out if I'm going to

some
> other way.  (Suggestions?)

Ship it to me. I will dispose of it cleanly. Just make sure you send
the
title too.

But seriously folk....

Call me crazy, but wouldn't this work? Remove the engine, drain it of
all its body fluids and take it to a welding shop. I would imagine
that
if it's cast aluminum then a TIG welder in the properly trained hands
of
a professional could repair the piece. I only have a MIG and would
probably really screw the thing up. TIG would be the way to go. If
this
won't work then someone will correct me. I may be wrong. It happened
once before.

- --
Steve Lawler
Verona, NJ, USA, Earth

2001 Sprint ST "Blue Devil"

"It pays to be obvious, especially if you have a reputation for
subtlety."
            -- Isaac Asimov

 *   *