RE: [ST] ST totaled

Blake,

Man that sounds like a bummer... but most importantly you're feeling well
enough to be angry about it ;).  If it were me I'd probably try to part the
bike out, of course that depends on what your insurance company would pay
out for it and also what your current financial situation is.  You might
consult with a place like Baxter Cycles and see what they feel the bike
would be worth whole to them as a parts bike, it might at least get you an
idea of what it's worth.  As an insurance claim I'd say you're likely to see
in the neighborhood of $5k for a 2000 ST.  Who knows, you might get some RS
owner like me who'd be willing to buy the whole back end from you to do a
SSSA conversion?

I'd also stay the hell away from having the frame/engine welded.  And this
is coming from a structural engineer who firmly believes that the proper
weld will produce a strong enough joint.  A wrecked bike, in my opinion, is
always going to be a wrecked bike.  There may be other issues that arise as
a result of the accident that haven't been brought to light yet.

In the end this raises some pretty interesting questions about frame
sliders.  I've been considering them off and on for 3 years now.  Having
this sort of thing (broken frame) happen to two listers has definitely NOT
helped in making the decision.  Would you have been able to ride the bike if
it didn't have the sliders?  Would being stranded have been better than
having a totaled bike?  Would the resulting damage w/ no slider have totaled
the bike anyway?  I have no answers to these questions and suspect that no
one knows for sure.

Keep your chin up and enjoy the Scotch.  Maybe this is the opportunity for
you to become the first lister on a 05?

Nate
00SprintRS