[ST] Arkansas trip, day two

Friday, we woke this morning to a cool forty degree and clear morning. Bird
had his normal breakfast bar and I had health food at McDonalds by
celebrating the day with a biscuit and sausage. As I returned to the hotel
I stopped and talked to several motorcycle riders who had came in during
the night. First was a solo rider from Fort Worth on a Suzuki GS1100. I
then talked to a man on a Harley and his son. They were also from Fort
Worth but didnâ??t realize their next-door neighbor was. This was his first
trip up here and he wanted to ride the fabled Talimena Parkway. He was full
of questions and my only suggestion was to ride the posted limits the first
time through as there were some turns with decreasing radius that could
catch you out. I walked away after introducing the two riders. I then
walked up to a rider unloading an Aprilia and his buddy aboard a yellow
Triumph Daytona. They had trailer up from Fort Worth and were going to
explore the Ozarks. Bird and I loaded up and headed north after getting
fuel. The day was great for riding as the temperature climbed into the
middle seventies before dropping as darkness approached. We headed north on
highway 23. The road is full of great sweeping turns and elevation changes.
Next, a right onto 217 and then back left on 309 put us on highway 10. This
section was a little tighter than 23 and was great fun. We were in an
endless pivoting of the bike through the turns. Just back and forth in an
endless carving motion through the countryside. A fast jaunt east on 10 and
then back north on 309 for the climb up and down Mount Magazine. What a
great road this one is. You climb to Arkansasâ??s tallest peak in about five
miles of twisting and turning. The road has nice turns and switchbacks
marked at 30-45 MPH that can easily be doubled. Once again I ran across the
Roadrunner that seems to be in the same location every trip up the
mountain. We stopped at the top to admire the view of the valleys below and
just soak in the beauty of the area. Just be careful of those pesky two
turns marked 15 MPH as you ascend the mountain. They are treacherous! We
then descend the mountain on nice sweepers. The elevation change caused me
to take a deep yawn and boom! My earplugs were blown out! About thirty
miles down the road we stopped again and I re-plugged myself Highway 309 is
also full of nice turns and contains practically no traffic like most of
the roads in  Arkansas has about the best road conditions you will find and
endless cornering opportunities. There are three definite road surfaces
though. The standard blacktop, which is easy, a new gray covering that just
rocks, and a white surface that I'll mention later. All offer good traction
but the white ones make me uneasy as it is too easy to have unseen gravel
on top. Before entering the town of Ozark the road is flat and straight for
a few miles. Then the roller coaster ride starts. Bird would disappear and
then come back into view as I crested the rise. Great fun and deep feeling
in the gut as the G forces change from negative to positive time and time
again. I loved it! This is a nice place to make up some time. Watch out,
there are two turns marked 25 MPH and we slow. I donâ??t know who marked
these things but they are not 25 MPH turns. More like 75 MPH sweepers. I
think the old road signs were just re-used as the old bridge is sitting in
a field right before the river and the road surface is fresh. We pass
through Ozark and ride along highway 23 again on what is called the "Pig
Trail" and start climbing again. All one can say is nice-nice road. 25 to
45 MPH turns with short straights but be careful again as there are a few
10 MPH turns and they are approbatory marked! The second one has a nice
waterfall hidden right at the middle of the turn tumbling down out of the
mountain in the foliage. I could ride this road all day but we continue
north and then turn east on highway 74. OK, here I go again, another great
road with more open turns and a great time to have fun while making time.
We pull into Kingston and park in front of the Valley Cafe Bed and
Breakfast where we spent the night on the last trip. Once off the bikes it
is time to lose the thermals and jacket liner as the day is warming fast.
Inside we had a sandwich and great dessert. The owner once made us a pecan
pie that was ready by 9:00 AM in the morning because she ran out the
afternoon we were there. As we walked out of the café a blonde headed woman
asked me "Your not ridding that red motorcycle are you"? Yes mam, sure am
do you want to look at it I answered. She wanted to have her picture taken
with the bike. I asked her if she wanted to sit on the bike and then put
Merlin on the center stand so it was more stable. More pictures and then
the call for me to be in the picture. Now just how could I refuse a nice
looking blonde Arkie?  Not being one to upset the Texas â?? Arkansas
relationship I reluctantly obliged and passed my camera to Bird for my own
keepsakes. After talking a while we found that her and her two sisters were
there with their mother on their annual get together trip. We talked with
three other riders at the town square gazebo and gave them some tips on
roads to take, saddled up, and headed east on highway 21, 16, and 7. Yes,
all great roads in their own right. We rode past Cotter on the new highway
and bridge into Gassville to spend the night. The room was nice and we
unloaded and then took the back and desolate River Road along the White
River about five miles back to Cotter to explore the old Cotter Bridge. The
bridge has recently been refurbished and looks new. Bird was wondering why
there was a new bridge on a deserted road. I explained that this was the
only bride before the new highway by-passed this area and it was a
historical landmark now. We walked the river and explored the train caboose
museum. We then rode back to the hotel in darkness. The hotel had a
restaurant that was quite tasty but it seemed odd being there and only two
other customers. We took a final look at the area and then to the room to
watch part two of â??We were soldersâ??. Every night we stopped this movie was
playing on TNT and over the course of the trip we saw it in three parts but
managed to see the complete movie. You have to understand that 250 miles in
the twisties is like 500 back home in Texas as you are constantly working
the bike. The only sore area was the back of the upper arm from leaning and
working the bars. Total mileage is now 575 with 315 coming today

         Jack "Rude Dog"
         Hays
         972-952-5065
         972-952-2968 fax