RE: [ST] Re: Shock Removal Directions - RS

On Thu, 2004-11-11 at 00:21, Ken Mitchell wrote:
> How do I know the right length? Measure the stock one! It's 365mm, from the
> center of each clevis to the other. Being a machinist by trade with just
> under 30 years in the business, I'm likely capable of taking the correct
> measurement. ;)

Yes but, you will fussy enough to measure it to three decimal places and
have a tolerance of +/- 0.001 :)

> As far as I know, both Ohlins and Penske offerings have adjustable ride
> height, the stock one does not. My Penske has 15mm of adjustment, but I
> prefer just 5mm higher than stock.

My Ohlins was just a bit out. I left the ST on the centre stand with the
back wheel in. It took 1/2 an hour to change.

1. Wedge a plank under the rear wheel with a spacer under one end so you
can lift it up or down as required.
2. Remove the tank and take out the front side panel bolts be leave the
panels on.
3. lossen the top bolt on the shock.
4. remove the bottom bolt. The wheel wont move up or dwon because of the
plank.
5 remove the top bolt and gently work shock out and up.
6. Check new shock is not miles out to the old one. Adjust spring load
etc before fitting. (It's easy to do it now. I did my Ohlins before I
started.)
7. Slide new shock down into hole. Fit top bolt but dont tighten it up
yet.

8. Look through bottom hole to see how far the hole is out with the hole
in the linkage. Bang plank with hammer to move wheel up or down as
required.

9. Fit lower bolt and tighten

10 Tighten upper bolt.

11 Fit tank back on etc.

The Ohlins had to be slid into place by rotating the shock as it went
in. The cartridge gets in the way.

12. Ride bike.

HTH.