Re: [ST] Re: Canada to Key West, 2005

In a previous email, Heyer, Matthew A. stated:
> If he knows what's good for him, he won't be passing through NJ!!  Head
> through Eastern PA - better roads, less traffic.  NJ is a clusterf**k of
> traffic.  You get skewed living there too.

Well, Matt. I will defend the Garden State even though I grew up in
Connecticut and have lived in New Jersey for only 6 years. While there
are areas that fit your description, there are those areas that are
beautiful and relatively free of traffic. My definition of traffic is
vehicular movement along a roadway. One vehicle makes traffic. Every
road has traffic. Friday afternoons in the NYC area absolutely suck, as
does the Camden area. They have the most traffic. Yet I have moved just
as fast while being stuck behind a tractor in rural Sussex County. I'm
talking about a John Deere type tractor not a Mack. Rt. 495 in Weehawken
has loads of traffic at 8am Monday through Friday. Rt 563 through the
Pinelands has much less at the same time. However 495 has one advantage
over 563: the Helix*. If you can, hit it at 5am. I'm usually on it just
before 6.

And there are many other fine roads in NJ with light traffic. You just
have to know where they are and you have to avoid the cities. If Andy
likes, I can post a suggested route that cuts though the north west part
of the state and let him make his own decision.

*The Helix:
http://tinyurl.com/62bqd
or
http://tinyurl.com/5uzra

- --
Steve Lawler
Verona, NJ, USA, Earth

2001 Sprint ST "Blue Devil"

"You can't see anything from a car; you've got to get out of the goddamn
contraption and walk, better yet crawl, on hands and knees, over the
sandstone and through the thornbrush and cactus.  When traces of blood
begin to mark your trail, you'll see something, maybe."
          -- Edward Abbey