Re: [ST] for Matt and Richard - tire width & cornering

Heyer, Matthew A. wrote:
> Yes - you are correct in traction being proportional to the weight over
> the surface area - same as a normal force acting upon a point.  A
> diagram would help me in my point immensely here.
>
> What I'm saying is that the heavier object has the greater centrifugal
> force during the turn.  And the only thing opposing the centrifugal
> force is the tire and it's traction to the road.  With a said tire
> having a coefficient of friction of "x", that tire can only oppose so
> much force before it breaks its traction.  As speed increases in a turn,
> so does that pseudo centrifugal force that is at odds with the tires
> traction.  Let make up a number and say that a bike weighing 500 lbs
> going through example turn 1 at a speed of 100mph causes that force to
> be 100 units.  Another bike that weighs 300 lbs going through the same
> turn at the same rate of speed might only cause a force of say 70 units.
> If the tires limit is 100 units before loosing traction, that lighter
> bike can go up to 100 units and thus can travel faster through the same
> arc (thus increasing that outward force) until it reaches that "100
> units" number.  So the lighter bike can travel through the same corner
> on the same tire at a higher rate of speed due to its lighter weight and
> consequent lower outward force than a heavier bike at any given
> cornering speed.

We are close to talking the same language. The traction of the tire is
proportional to the weight imposed by gravity pulling the bike down. So
you have 2 forces, one centrifugal and one gravity. Traction is
proportion to that of gravity that is the weight of the bike. Thus a
bike weighing 300lbs is going to have less traction than that of the
bike weighing 500lbs, when you take traction as meaning the amount of
raw grip the tire has.

So with you numbers 500 lbs bike has 100 units of traction as, thus it
can take 100 units of centrifugal force, the 300 lbs bikes will have
*70* units of traction and less gravity acting on the tires, thus only
70 units of centrifugal force can be applied.

The big difference is the 100 units of traction is going to cause more
heating and chemical stress in the tire than the 70 units. If the
chemical nature of the tire can only handle 85 units is sheer force
before the heat and molecular bonds get torn, the 300lbs bike is going
to kick some serious 500lbs bike a$$ as the 500 lbs bike would
experience tire failure.

If that magic tire number was say 200units instead of 85, both bikes
would be equal.

Assuming you can separate Chemistry from Physics, tires are all about
chemistry and little about physics, unless Rossi can truly change
9.8m/s^2  :-)

(see, I got some moto content in there :-) )

- --
Thomas Emberson