RE: [ST] I changed the front tyre on the ST today.

On Sun, 2004-11-28 at 22:58, Ken Mitchell wrote:
> Several comments, please don't be offended if it seems like criticism.
>
> First, did you check the balance of the tyre after putting that green slime
> in? I'd be concerned about it. Myself, I'd never put such things in a tire
> for fear it would move around when it goes through heat cycles. (Plus that
> mess would make me cringe.)

I was suprised how easy it was to clean off the rim. Just a wipe. The
tyre was re-balanced after a few days yes,

> Second, it looks like you missed a prime opportunity to clean your bike's
> calipers and it's pistons. It's the most effective maintenance I've found
> for keeping free travel of the lever to the minimum, and stopping at top
> performance.

That I did. I don't like taking the callipers apart as it is not always
necessary. A minor squirt with PJ1 chain lube to fill the gap between
the slave cylinder and calliper. PJ1 goes off quit hard so it works
well. It was a trick I learnt from a mechanic years ago. I must admit
the nissin callipers are very good quality items.

> Third, please tell me what brake pads you've been using. There seems to be
> excessive wear on the rotors.

Standard original Triumph. The pads should be good for at least another
10K. They have done 8.5 at the moment.

>  I've got 48,000 miles on my RS, and on just my
> second set of pads (front, the rears are still the original ones.) I've used
> only the stock Nissin HH+ pads, and the rotors on my bike still look as new.

Mine are stock. Although the disks look worn, it is just a mark and not
a groove.

> Just a few observations, as you asked.

Yes Cheers, thanks for the feedback.

End of st-digest V2004 #648