Re: [ST] Aaaaaarrrrrgggghhhh

In a previous email, Ken Mitchell stated:
> I suggest you also replace the seal in the cover for the clutch actuation
> shaft while you've got it off. Rupert's started leaking there. Might as well
> kill two birds with one stone!

Thanks Ken. I did that.

Anyway. When I opened the cover I could see that the gasket was not
properly lined up when it was first put in. What was really amazing was
that the gasket had not leaked before. When I first looked at it I
thought that maybe somebody at my dealer had screwed it up. I thought back:
- - Clutch cable and fuel fitting replacement @ 19,000 miles: no need to
remove the clutch cover.
- - 18,000 mile service: no need to remove it.
- - 12,000 mile service: it is not necessary to pull the cover.
- - 6,000 mile service: no need to remove it.
- - 600 mile service: no need to remove it.
- - 0 mile assembly: install the gasket.

So, at 20,100 miles either the improperly set gasket held for 8,000
miles or 20,000 miles before finally leaking. I'm inclined to believe it
 left the factory that way. The gasket cement was applied to the cover
and the cover was painted under the gasket.

- --
Steve Lawler
Verona, NJ, USA, Earth

2001 Sprint ST "Blue Devil"

"If you haven't found something strange during the day, it hasn't been
much of a day."
            -- John A. Wheeler