re: [ST] Busted...

did the cop see you wait? there's the proof that it didn't work. if he
didn't, get someone to video you at that light, showing that it does not
trigger. the lights have sensitivity adjustments to keep them from being
triggered by cars in the next lane. your inmtersection is apparently set
too dumb.

the key to the problem is the lack of ferrous metal on the bike. all that
fairing plastic and aluminium won't trigger squat. and the fork tubes,
crankshaft, and trans aren't much iron. ask the policeman [nicely] to
please run through the equations of capacitance, ferrous flux, etc., to
back up his claim that 'a bike this size' will trigger that light. after
all, it's not rocket science...just physics.

in previous threads about this, most jurisdictions recognize a motorist
should be allowed to make a safe turn when the light-trigger doesn't see
them. i do it regularly at the last light on my way home from work.

bp

<Received a citation for turning left on red.  I had waited 2 light cycles
and on the third, with no traffic ahead nor coming up behind (to
trigger the light)proceeded.  Unfortunately, did not notice the police
car.
I explained the situation but the officer could/would not believe that a
bike this size (Sprint ST) would not be recognized by the sensor.
Anyone been though this that could provide help in documenting problems we
have with traffic lights?  My arraignment is October 22.
Thanks,
Dan
'02 Sprint ST
Beaverton, OR >