Re: [ST] Bulb Replacement tips

In a previous email, STeve Duncan stated:
> First, you will notice on the package that it is strongly recommended that
> you NOT touch the bulbs.  This is very important, as even the slightest
> fingerprint will shorten the life of the bulb considerably.  And you can't
> really wipe off the oil either, you just spread it around.  So, I employed a
> pair of industrial nitrile gloves.  They are very thin and form fitting.
> You could also use surgical gloves or the like.

If you don't have or forget to wear gloves and you touch the glass you
can wipe off the oils with rubbing alcohol.

> Now the tricky parts start.  Get your flashlight back out and shine it in
> there taking note of just where everything is and what is holding what.  The
> bulb is held in place by a spring wire, it goes across the top of the bulb
> base as well as the bottom.  It is hinged on one side and fits into a catch
> clip on the other side.  To "unhook" this thing you must push "in" slightly
> on the top and at the same time push upwards, and it will swing free.  This
> is a delicate little sucker, so be careful with it.  Next, reach your hand
> in there and pull the bulb out.  Make note of the orientation of the
> connector tabs.  It's a tight fit in there, if you have gorilla hands, you
> may be better served to just remove the entire faring, nosepiece and
> cockpit.

I once had that damn little spring pop out from under the screw that
holds the pivoting end. I had to remove the fairing at that point.

> OK, so halfway there, or so you may think.  Reassembly is a bit trickier
> than yanking things out of there.  Put on those gloves, but first I
> recommend downing a cold beer, it will steady your hands and calm the mind.

Excellent little trick that works every time! Just don't ride after
several attempts at calming the nerves.

> There, you are DONE !!!   Oh, wait a minute; you still have to do the other
> side.  Repeat steps above.

Including the beer part?

Excellent write up Steve.

- --
Steve Lawler
Verona, NJ, USA, Earth

2001 Sprint ST "Blue Devil"

"Don't use a big word where a diminutive one will suffice."
            -- Unknown