Re: Fw: [ST] New Triumph Models

At 10:56 07/09/2004, Andrew Tait wrote:

>I rather like the new ST too.  We'll get used to it!

Strewth! And I thoughts pommies whinged .... ;-)

I'm with Andrew on this one.

Let's face it, about a year ago, the illustrious Mr Duncan put around a
wish list that most people added to. On that were:
1) Better suspension. Check. Looks like the front suspension from the
current Speed triple (or is that now the "old" Speed Triple?) has been fitted.
2) Better lights. Check. We can only assume that the 3 (projector?) lights
are better than the lop-sided one-eyed out-of-the factory settings
currently set. (Thank goodness they left the additional relay slots!)
3) Mirrors that work. Can only assume that the mirrors work better - they
certainly look as if they reach out further.
4) Better seat. Dunno yet, but it hardly ever gets a mention on model
launches ....
5) Better (cheaper?) luggage. It certainly looks robust and larger than the
current set up. As for cost ...?
6) Underseat exhaust. That divided opinions. I'm not a huge fan of them,
but the underseat storage wasn't that great anyway. If it cooks the
sandwiches in my tail pack on the way to work, that might be another issue.
I do like the triple outlets though.
7) Leave the styling alone. Ah. That'll be progress then. Triumph have to
win those VFR buying chaps over I guess.
8) Keep the motor. Well it's not a drastic change but an extra 100ccs can't
be bad - unless the fuel consumption has gone to pot. I assume that it
might be bigger to allow for losses in power caused by any exhaust catalyst
that's been fitted to meet new emission regulations?

At the end of the day, it'll come down to what it costs to buy, run and
insure - and whether it lights your fire. I'd like to see it in the metal,
but to me, the first pictures look good.

Now, if only they were doing preferred finance rates for existing owners ......

Happy trails,

- - Stephen (Spud) McS.
'02 BRG ST.